The Kainuu Joint Social and Health Care Authority (Kainuu Sote) is implementing new measures to curb the increase in coronavirus infections in Eastern Finland.
On Saturday, the authority announced that 13 new coronavirus infections have been confirmed and more than 100 people have been exposed in Kuhmo, a city of just over 8,000 inhabitants on the Russian border.
Kainuu authorities on Saturday the following week recommended avoiding close contact with the elderly throughout the province. All group exercises in Kuhmo will be canceled for the next week. Officials plan to announce further restrictions on Sunday.
“Today, a wider transition to teleworking in municipalities is being considered. Yesterday, we urged people not to travel across municipal boundaries unless necessary,” Kainuu Sote Director Maire Ahopelto said Sunday morning.
In addition, all visits to nursing homes in the Kainuu region and to the hospital ward of Kuhmo Health Center are prohibited.
On Friday, Kainuu residents were urged to wear face masks in public transport and other public places where social distance cannot be maintained. The recommendation covers all people over 15 years of age.
No positive results from school
According to Ahopelto, the Tuupala school in Kuhmo is one of the places where people are exposed to the virus. All those exposed have been contacted and none have so far received a positive result.
“We checked all the infection chains and one was in Tuupala school where no positive samples were found,” he said.
According to Ahopelto, the infected are adults who have traveled around Kainuu without knowing they had the virus. As a result, cases have been diagnosed in the city of Kajaani and elsewhere.
Source: The Nordic Page