About 100 residents living in Seyðisfjörður will be evacuated from their homes due to the high risk of landslides.
Kristján Ólafur Guðnason, chief of police in East Iceland, has announced that the evacuation will take place at 19 tonight.
The evacuation will take place at the edge of the village, on the south side.
Last weekend there was a high risk of avalanches, but now the police are preparing to deal with heavy rainfall and landslides. The case is particularly acute as landslides occurred last December and destroyed 14 homes.
Tonight’s precipitation is expected to exceed 60 millimeters, which on top of the 70 millimeters that fell last Saturday could be dangerous for those living in the area.
Do not leave a man / woman behind.
The Chief of Police in East Iceland has said that “There are 100 inhabitants in about 46 houses. This evacuation is in the area that was evacuated earlier in December. This is done for safety reasons in the opinion of the Meteorological Office. Meanwhile, the meter and its function are examined. “
Residents took the news rather well.
Kristján says that “Everyone was informed that this could happen and everyone took it well, we just hope for the best. That this weather is only for one night and no more. “
This condition will be taken up again at the Meteorological Office tomorrow afternoon.
It is hoped that all residents will be able to return home by noon tomorrow, if the weather does not start to turn for the worse.
Source: The Nordic Page