At the same time, he confirms to DR that the party will finally put the controversial mining project in South Greenland in the grave. The mining project has been one of the main themes during the election.
– We want to stop the Kvanefjeld project. And it is clear in the voters’ verdict, especially in South Greenland, where the project is that they are against it.
– It will not turn into anything, says the IA chairman.
In the election to Inatsisartut, Greenland’s parliament, IA became the largest party, and the party must therefore now try to form a government.
16 seats are required for a majority. With 36.6 percent of the vote, IA won 12 seats.
IA has not expressed in advance who the party will seek to form a government with.
But one possibility is the Naleraq party, which became the third largest party and won 4 seats.
Both parties are against the controversial mining project in Kuannersuit / Kvanefjeld near the town of Narsaq in South Greenland.
This is partly due to concerns about the environmental impact.
During a party leadership round at KNR, the IA chairman said Wednesday morning that a cup of coffee must be drunk before he must try to form a government.
– We start with a cup of coffee, and from there we will take the various steps to begin negotiations, and then we must look at the various opportunities for cooperation. And we have to see how broad a coalition it will be, he said according to DR.
During the same party leadership round, the IA chairman thanked voters for their trust.
– Thank you all. Thank you for your trust. Now you have given us the helm to rule the country for the next four years, said the party chairman.
Múte Bourup Egede himself also became the election’s big vote-getter. He received 3380 personal votes, while number two, Siumut’s Kim Kielsen, received 1841 votes.
If the IA succeeds in forming a government, it will be only the second time since 1979 that Siumut has not headed the Naalakkersuisut, the Self-Government. IA led the government from 2009 to 2013.
Chairman of Siumut Erik Jensen congratulated the victory during the party leadership round IA.
– We congratulate the Inuit Ataqatigiit on the election. Now we are excited about what the negotiations will bring in the coming days, said Erik Jensen to Múte Bourup Egede.
Source: The Nordic Page