Finland evacuated 330 people from Kabul, dozens remaining

Finnish troops were present at Kabul airport when suicide bombers attacked on Thursday night, Minister of Defense Antti Kaikkonen (Cen) confirmed at a news conference on Friday.

Speaks alongside the Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto (Green), Kaikkonen said the troops had not been forced to disarm and the decision to leave had been made before the bombings.

Foreign Minister Haavisto said that the operation had ended with the evacuation of about 330 people, including some Finnish citizens.

Dozens of people on the evacuation lists had failed to board flights from the country.

According to Haavisto, only a few people got to the airport during the last two days of the evacuation.

At the press conference, he was asked whether faster action by the government could have succeeded in evacuating more people.

According to him, the authorities have done what they can and decisions have been made as soon as possible in accordance with current legislation.

"Once the dust has settled slightly, it is worth considering whether the process can be slightly streamlined," said Kaikkonen. "Let’s get back to it when it’s all over."

This week’s All Points North podcast was heard from Yle’s correspondent Maija Liuhto On the situation in Afghanistan. You can listen to the entire podcast using the embedded player here, via Yle Areena, Spotify or Apple Podcasts, or on your regular podcast player via RSS feed.

Source: The Nordic Page


Posted

in

by

Tags:

Related Posts