Helsinki police are investigating how the school, the authorities treated the victim of the teenage murder

Helsinki police found no evidence of crimes by school staff and authorities before the 16-year-old boy’s violent death in the Koskela area last December.

On Friday, Dec. 4, the teenager was subjected to cruel, cruel, and humiliating ordeal for several hours until his death, prosecutors said in March. The victim was relentlessly bullied long before that night, and was beaten in the same place every three previous Friday nights.

During the preliminary investigation, police interviewed the victim’s school staff and child welfare authorities about the boy’s bullying and assault. The purpose of the investigation was to reveal whether the school staff or the authorities had committed crimes.

According to police, the investigation primarily investigated whether employees had violated labor laws.

"The Helsinki Police Department received a lot of information during the investigation. The pre-trial investigation file consists mainly of official documents, reports and statements. The [probe] received statements from a total of 44 persons," chief inspector Markku Silén said in a press release released Tuesday.

Three teenagers charged with murder and several other charges were found criminally responsible for killing the boy following a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation. The Helsinki District Court is due to rule on the case on Friday afternoon.

Police: The school intervened to bully the boy

According to police, the victim had hidden and misled adults from sources of personal injuries he had received in the weeks before the assault.

In his investigation report, police said the victim’s school staff had intervened appropriately with regard to bullying, adding that the institution had not neglected safety in the workplace or complied with its obligations to maintain and monitor peace at the school.

According to police, the probe therefore did not reveal any legitimate grounds to suspect abuse by school staff.

According to police, the victim did not live at home at the time of his death, but lived in a child welfare service.

After the boy’s last assault, the perpetrators left him lying on the ground at the scene, where construction workers found his body three days later.

A preliminary police investigation outlined a somewhat tense situation at the child welfare institution over the weekend of the boy’s death.

Child protection services

Inspector General Silén said the rules and guidelines for child protection were interpreted to some extent.

"From the point of view of an individual child protection institution, the resources available at the weekend and the number of people on duty can have a major impact on what measures are really appropriate to take," Silén said in a statement.

However, the investigation did not reveal any evidence that child protection workers had failed to comply with their legal and regulatory obligations in the performance of their duties and generally complied with the requirements of the Child Protection Act.

According to police, there is no legal reason to suspect child protection staff of violating the law.

"The main conclusion of the preliminary investigation is that there is no reason to suspect that primary school teachers, principals, child protection workers, other officials or any other person have breached their duty, negligence or other offense," Silen said.

Police began investigating the activities of child welfare and school staff at the end of January, when the case was transferred to the prosecutor’s office.

Source: The Nordic Page





Related Posts