Victor Lindelof’s family were unharmed during the break-in while the defender played a Premier League match
Manchester United have given their Swedish international defender Victor Lindelof leave after his wife and children were forced to hide from home intruders who targeted the family home while Lindelof played for his club against Brentford on Wednesday night.
During the match, which Manchester United won 3-1 and where Lindelof played a full 90 minutes, a group of burglars entered the home and made his wife Maja Nilsson Lindelof and their small children hide.
“We are okay under the circumstances, but it was obviously a very traumatic and frightening moment for both me and my small children,” Nilsson Lidelof wrote about the trial on Instagram.
“We are now in Sweden and spending some time off with our families.”
Manchester United interim manager Ralf Ragnick has since confirmed to the media that Lindelof has been excused from Saturday’s match with West Ham as he and his family recover from what the German described as a “traumatic event”.
“I talked to him for a long time on our flight home from London and even this morning we talked for about 20, 25 minutes. He told me what had actually happened and that this was really a traumatic event, especially for his wife and even with his wife, three-year-old son, “Ragnick told the media on Friday.
“He told me he needs to stay home right now. He does not want to leave his wife and family on his own, which I fully understand being a father of two. We agreed that he will not train today and not be in service tomorrow for the match. “
A club statement, meanwhile, shed further light on the incident.
“We can confirm that a burglary occurred at the home of Victor Lindelof during the away match against Brentford,” Manchester United announced.
“His family, who were at home at the time, were unharmed but clearly shaken. This was a worrying experience for them and for Victor when he found out after the match, and the club gives them our full support.
“We urge anyone with information about the crime to contact the police.”
The incident is the latest in a series of burglaries targeting high-profile footballers in England and on the European mainland in recent months and comes just three weeks after Manchester City’s defenders. Joao Cancelo suffered a facial injury during a break-in at his home in the suburbs of Manchester late last year.