The Kremlin comments on reported draft peace plan with Ukraine

denies that “significant progress” has been made in talks with

The Kremlin has said that a report in the on a supposed 15-point draft peace plan with Ukraine was false.

The pages held several rounds of talks after Russia attacked Ukraine on February 24, and later switched to regular discussions via video link.

In response to a reporter’s question on Thursday about Russia and Ukraine coming close to signing a peace agreement, Kremlin spokesman said: “No, the continues. [on the matter]”He added that Russia will inform the public about any breakthrough in the talks.

The statement comes after the Financial Times reported on Wednesday that the sides had made “significant progress” and discussed a 15-point draft plan, which would include the withdrawal of Russian troops, and that Ukraine would become a neutral state in exchange for protection from the West. allies.

Peskov confirmed that some of the issues mentioned by FT were on the agenda, but dismissed the overall report as “essentially false.”

, a member of the Ukrainian negotiating team, said that the draft of the FT report represented what Russia wanted from Kyiv and “nothing more”. He reiterated that Kyiv was striving for a ceasefire, withdrawal of Russian forces and legally binding security guarantees.

At the same time, the head of the Russian delegation, Vladimir Medinsky, said on Wednesday that Ukraine had put forward a proposal for an alliance-free state, such as Sweden or Austria.

Russia has demanded that Ukraine officially declare itself a neutral country and renounces an attempt to join . Ukrainian officials have previously said they are ready to discuss the issue with Moscow.

Moscow attacked its neighbor after a seven-year conflict over Ukraine’s failure to implement the terms of the , and Russia’s final recognition of the Donbass republics of and Lugansk. The German and French mediated protocols had been designed to regulate the status of these regions in the .

Kyiv insists that the Russian offensive was completely unprovoked and has denied claims that it planned to retake the two republics by force.

(RT.com)

Source: sn.dk

Related Posts