Roundup: 2 killed in the third Swedish school attack in just seven months

Roundup: 2 killed in the third Swedish school attack in just seven months

, March 22 (Xinhua) – Two teachers were killed in a violent attack on a high school in in southern . This has been the third school attack in the country since last summer.

The suspect, an 18-year-old student at the school, was arrested at the scene ten minutes after the first emergency call. The two seriously injured teachers, both women in their 50s, were taken to where they were later pronounced dead.

Malmö Latin School (Latinskolan) in the heart of Sweden’s third largest city has about 1,000 students. As the attack occurred late on , only about 50 people were present in the building. Many of them were students rehearsing a musical, local media reported. They fled and found shelter. None of them were injured.

“I was at school when it happened, and even if I did not see what happened, it’s tough because I knew everyone involved. It feels like I’ll never be able to go back to school and walk in its corridors.” said one of the students to Swedish Television.

Due to the ongoing investigation, the have only provided brief details.

“We have seized weapons, but it is difficult to say which ones have been used before the forensic investigation is complete. However, no firearms have been used,” Malmö Police Chief Petra Stenkula told reporters on Tuesday.

She revealed that the suspect abandoned himself without incident and that he had no criminal record.

The motive behind the attack is still unknown, but the police are cooperating with the Police to investigate whether it was a hate .

No further official information is expected to come before the suspect is charged. Local media reported that the 18-year-old was armed with an ax and a knife.

This was the third school attack in Sweden since August last year, which all took place within 90 kilometers of Malmö.

Monday’s attack came just days after a higher court ruled in favor of a 16-year-old boy who had previously been convicted of a similar attack in the city of Eslov in August 2021.

During the investigations into the Eslova attack, the police discovered a death list with the names of several other students and evidence that it was a hate crime. The boy also filmed the attack and streamed the live.

No one was killed in Eslov, but one teacher was injured. The boy, who was then 15 years old, was sentenced in December to 30 months in prison for attempted murder and related charges. Had he been 21 at the time of the attack, he could have been sentenced to life in prison.

The boy appealed, but last week a higher court upheld his verdict.

After another non-fatal school attack in 90 kilometers northeast of Malmö two months ago, the police found evidence that the suspected 16-year-old had been in contact with the boy behind the attack in Eslöv.

Police investigating Monday’s attack will investigate whether the suspect was influenced by, or in any way connected to, these other perpetrators.

Concerns about security in Swedish schools have arisen after an attack in 2015, when a young man armed with a sword and knife killed three people in Trollhättan in western Sweden before he was shot dead by police.

In 2016 and 2017, two students in Swedish schools were stabbed by fellow students after a fight.

Many Swedish schools have since participated in workshops where staff are trained in how to react to such attacks.

Source: sn.dk

Related Posts