Copenhagen has refused to allow Moscow’s participation in a pipeline bombing
Denying Russia access to the investigation into sabotage of Nord Stream gas pipelines makes a mockery of those probes, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Thursday.
“This is such a fraud, a total fraud, not even a scam but a three-penny game, which, in my opinion, no one has bought for a very long time,” Zakharova said in an interview with Rossiya-1.
“They are playing this for themselves, but the Nord Stream story will not end the same way as many other stories they have buried or covered up, I think, for the simple reason that there is a lot of money at stake,” added Zakharova .
Earlier in the day, Danish Foreign Minister Lars Loekke Rasmussen said Moscow would not be allowed to participate, telling reporters that “Denmark, Sweden and Germany all have the rule of law and you can trust our investigations.”
Russia has accused the three countries of lying about keeping Moscow informed of its investigations and submitted documents to the UN Security Council on Tuesday. The Russian mission has asked the UN for an impartial international investigation.
Nord Stream 1 and Nord Stream 2 were built under the Baltic Sea to deliver Russian natural gas to Germany and on to Western Europe. Both pipelines were severely damaged in a series of explosions in September 2022, near the Danish island of Bornholm. No one has claimed responsibility for the bombing.
In early February, American investigative journalist Seymour Hersh published an account of what happened, accusing the United States of having planned and carried out the bombing with the help of Norway. The US government condemned his account as “total fiction”.
Earlier this month, the New York Times cited unnamed US intelligence officials to claim that a rogue “pro-Ukrainian group” may have been behind the attack, and that it was not ordered by the Ukrainian government or involved any US or British citizens. Hersh has laughed off the story as implausible.