Moscow [Russia]March 29 (ANI): The Kremlin on Tuesday regretted the decision of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to reject Russia’s request for an international investigation into the Nord Stream pipeline explosions last September, Anadolu Agency reported.
However, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Moscow will continue its efforts for an objective investigation into the September 2022 pipeline explosions that blew up the Nord Stream gas pipelines.
“We believe that everyone should be interested in an objective investigation involving all interested parties, all those who can shed light on the clients and perpetrators of this terrorist act,” Peskov said at a press conference in Moscow when asked what measures Russia plans to take. further.
The UN Security Council on Monday did not support the Russian-Chinese resolution, which called on UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to create an international independent commission “to conduct a comprehensive, transparent and impartial investigation into all aspects of the act of sabotage against Nord Stream and Nord Stream -2 gas pipelines, including to identify the perpetrators, sponsors, organizers of the sabotage and their accomplices,” Anadolu Agency reported.
Peskov reiterated that he is “doing everything in our power” to hold an international investigation, Anadolu Agency reported.
“We consider this extremely important, we regret that the initiative did not pass, but of course the Russian side will continue to move to prevent this topic from being silenced,” he added.
Russia, China and Brazil voted in favor of the draft resolution, while the remaining 12 council members abstained. At least nine votes in favor are required to pass a draft resolution in the 15-member council.
Nord Stream pipelines, carrying Russian natural gas to northern Germany via the Baltic Sea, were ruptured in a series of explosions on September 26 last year, causing leaks in what officials from countries in the region called “probable sabotage.” , a series of leaks were reported in the Nord Stream and Nord Stream 2 pipelines, multi-billion dollar projects to transport natural gas from Russia to Germany through the Baltic Sea.
After an investigation, both Sweden and Denmark, in whose jurisdiction the leaks occurred, said the leaks happened because someone deliberately bombed the pipelines. However, they did not reveal who was responsible for the attack.
Russia accused the United States of having direct involvement in the explosions, which severely damaged the pipelines.
In addition, American investigative journalist and political writer Seymour Hersh claimed that the bombing of the Nord Stream undersea gas pipelines in September 2022 was carried out by the United States in a covert operation, according to the results of his investigation published in Substack. Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Hersh noted that the decision to damage the pipelines came after more than nine months of top-secret debates within Washington’s intelligence community.
In the immediate aftermath of the pipeline bombing, the US media treated it as an unsolved mystery. Russia was repeatedly cited as a likely perpetrator, spurred on by calculated leaks from the White House – but without ever establishing a clear motive for such an act of self-sabotage, beyond simple retaliation.
NATO and Washington saw Nord Stream 1 as problematic enough, but the completion of Nord Stream 2 in September 2021 further increased American concerns.
If approved by German regulators, it would double the flow of cheap gas to Germany and Western Europe, Hersh said.
Its capacity can accommodate more than fifty percent of the country’s annual use. The US saw Europe’s dependence on Russian gas as a risk to Ukraine’s support, as countries such as Germany could be reluctant to contribute the necessary funds and weapons.
However, US President Joe Biden’s administration has denied the allegations, calling the report “completely false and complete fiction”. (ANI)